Saturday, June 2, 2012

I FOUND THE ROCK

My last Easter sermon at Thomas Presbyterian Church was based on Psalm 18, "The Lord is my Rock, my Fortress and Redeemer." While preparing the sermon, my mind returned to a special rock of my childhood. I determined that after retirement I would search for that same rock.

Over fifty years ago, as a ten year old, I organized the four children who lived on my street, into the "Westtown Gang". We roamed my Dad's 150 acre dairy farm creating our own make-believe fun. One of our "meeting places" was a large rock in the middle of our cow pasture. Perhaps that was the beginning of my lifelong love for rocks.

Now what were the chances that I would find a large boulder in a large field that was now overrun with houses? Well it took me an hour, driving through endless side streets to locate the possible spot. Once I narrowed the search to one street, I knocked on a random door in the middle of the day...tried to look "non-threatening" as I waited to tell a stranger my story. Joe and Laura Mauro not only listened to my story but welcomed me into their backyard. I could not believe the sight...there it was.. complete with the unusual small hole. Just as we had done 50 plus years ago, their children often played on the "Westtown Gang's" rock.
 
 
Laura followed me out to my car saying, "Let me get your name, in case someone else comes looking for  the rock!"

No comments:

Post a Comment